Three tutorial DVD set shows the image editing techniques described in the book Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies (click here for the book review).
What is covered in volume 1
- Photoshop CS3 User Interface. Shows you how to arrange palettes and customize menus to make your workspace more convenient.
- Image adjustment tools:
- Curves. Learn how to remove color overcast and adjust the most important color in the image—the skin tone.
- Hue-saturation adjustment. Learn how to make reddish skin look healthier. A great technique for healing acne.
- Basic Retouching. Covers tools to do typical flaw removal retouching:
- The Spot Healing brush. Helps to take out little defects.
- The Healing brush.
- The Patch tool. Helps to clean out background spots. Works pretty good on even backgrounds.
- The Clone tool.
- Dodge and burn technique. Helps to retouch little wrinkles.
- Rebuilding skin. Learn how to preserve the real skin texture and avoid creating too smooth spastic-looking skin texture. Recreate the skin texture to cover up skin defects.
- Storing texture libraries as patterns.
- Limiting the depth of field to throw the background out of focus. Learn how to achieve a realistic looking limited depth of field.
What is covered in volume 2
- A technique to add a soft diffusion glow in the image to get a classic portrait look.
- Advanced sharpening techniques.
- Getting the foreground figure away from the distracting background by adding more contrast and shape.
- Converting color images into back and white. Taking advantage of the channel structure of a colored image.
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper With Photoshop CS3 is a great training program for a photographer who needs helps understanding image retouching and enhancement techniques.